Release year: 2023
Producer: Mix With The Masters
Manufacturer website: Link
Author: Catherine Marks
Duration: 1h 37min
Handout type: Video tutorial
Description: Learn from award-winning producer and engineer Katherine Marks!
In the premiere episode of the MWTM series, Katherine talks about her career path, explains her workflow, and focuses on the multitrack of Grammy-nominated rock band Wolf Alice’s 2016 single “Moaning Lisa Smile”. Filmed at the Rue Boyer Studios in Paris, the hour and a half episode dives into the creative process behind this recording. In addition, it explores the overall workflow and philosophy of Marx, which references a number of other projects by artists such as PJ Harvey, Kelly Rowland, Foals, David Wiener, and The Amazons.
She shares many of the lessons learned during the studio sessions and knowledge from fellow professionals Alan Moulder, Flood and others. Taking you through the Pro Tools session “Moaning Lisa Smile”, Katherine shares how she combined many guitar sounds, overdubbed vocals, mixed samples and more. In addition to reviewing the mix, she talks about the equipment and methods used during tracking.
1. Academic & career journey, mentors, projects, artists, producers, studios, mistakes, attitude, approach
2. Learning to mix, console, summing mixer, master chains, equipment features, characteristics, purposes
3. Howling Bells album, emotion, tracking Wolf Alice, tempo, microphones, amplifiers, samples, overdubs
4. Live performance, bass & electric guitar, low end, distortion, panning, drums, lead vocals, “rainbow sparkles”
5. The Amazons album, sounds inspiring musical parts, synths, backing vocals, signal chains, plug-in processing
6. Acoustic guitar, track grouping, parallel compression, comparing different mixes, raw energy vs. cohesiveness
There are subtitles in Russian, English and Spanish.
Sample files: not provided
Video Format: MP4
Video: AVC, 1920×1080, 16:9, 25 fps, 2000 kb/s
Audio: AAC, 44.1 kHz, 320 kb/s, 2 channels