The Unfiltered Audio Sandman is far more than just a delay plugin; it’s a wormhole to the dreamtime states of your sounds. It’s a deceptively simple gateway to a microcosm of sonic dimensions bordering the absurd. It’s a new way to extract loops and grains from a sound that can be as close to or as far flung from the original, as you like. From the input of just a single sample, the Sandman opens a Pandora’s box of endless sonic possibilities.
At first glance, Sandman offers the most basic parameters found on a delay plugin – host synch-able Delay Time and ping-pong feedback, along with a wet/dry mix and a filter for good measure. Use these standard features for flanging, comb filtering, or adding string-like texture to percussive sounds. The Sample Rate parameter can add vintage grime or completely decimate a sound by directly lowering the sample rate of the DSP engine; an adjacent Dirt switch gives you the loving character of a lo-fi recording.
Sandman’s namesake is its unique SLEEP button – the hub for the granular wonders that lay in wait.
With SLEEP, you can ‘freeze’ audio at a point in time to create a loop based on the Delay value, allowing you to adjust the sample Start and End points. Long Delay values can produce beat-repeats or stutter effects, while shorter values turn Sandman into what is essentially a wavetable synthesizer; the Start and End times can even overlap each other, reversing your sample by up to 100%. Drop the Sample Rate and Delay time while Sandman is asleep, and you now have granular synthesis at your fingertips. Several of these parameters can be modulated by Sandman’s synch-able LFO section, while an advanced de-clicking algorithm ensures clean edges no matter how much mayhem ensues. But if it ever gets out of hand (which it almost certainly will), there’s always the handy Kill switch to wake yourself back up.
Widen and deepen your sounds, or harvest mind-blowing samples and sweeteners from the most unsuspecting of material. Sandman is an indispensable tool for the audio alchemist. Activate the 14-day full function demo with your Plugin Alliance account to hear for yourself.
New for Version 1.1:
- Ping-Pong delay mode.
- Kill Switch.
- Dry/Wet is now a lockable parameter.
- Double-clicking ‘stop’ on the transport in your DAW will now empty non-frozen delay buffers.
- Fixed clicks when entering and exiting Sleep mode.
- Fixed synced LFOs being affected by Sample Rate manipulation.
- DSP performance and RAM usage improved by nearly 50%.
- Optional tooltips for every control.
- Several automation improvements, greater compatibility with external MIDI controllers.
- Added AAX native and VST3 formats.
- Unique ‘Sleep’ function creates locked loops by freezing delay buffer, allowing the Start and End time to be manipulated by up to 100%.
- Sample Rate parameter directly controls the time-frequency domain of the sample, slowing or re-pitching the sound.
- Dual LFOs allow bipolar modulation of nearly every parameter.
- ‘Dirt’ switch for some gritty vintage goodness.
- Ping Pong mode for stereo effects.
- Wet/Dry mix for parallel processing.
- Granulate or reverse loops, then mangle or morph them into a completely different sound.
- Add fluttery spring echo or silky ambience with time, feedback, and filter controls in mono or stereo.
- Create interesting warps and warbles for sound design or live performance.
- Wide-ranging delay times, from 5ms to 5s; get up to 8min by adjusting the Sample Rate.